Sunday, May 25, 2008

Receiving May 31 worship scriptures

Scriptures for May 31
Genesis 6:9-22; 7:24; 8:14-19
Psalm 46
Romans 1:16-17; 3:22b-28
Matthew 7:21-29

How might you receive the May 31 worship scriptures? Some suggestions for how to receive them are at http://charistis.blogspot.com/2008/03/receiving-word-as-spirit-and-life.html
What might be highlighted for you as you receive these scriptures? You will find out as you enter into this spiritual exercise. Receptivity is vitally important. There are some notes about it at http://charistis.blogspot.com/2008/03/receiving.html.

After you receive these scriptures for yourself, you may want to share with others who have done the same. Following are notes I made after receiving these scriptures.

May 24 prayer for receiving
Flowers open to and thrive on life-sustaining light and water. I'm created to receive as surely as the flowers receive sun and rain. Here I am Lord, wanting to receive--to open to and thrive on--your Word as spirit and and life. Let that receiving happen again, and all the more, today.

Genesis 6:9-22; 7:24; 8:14-19 (selections and reflections)
"Noah walked with God." (vs. 9)

"...corrupt ...violence ...corrupt ... corrupted..." (vss. 11-12)
"God said... I will destroy them..." (vs. 13)

Can I stay all the more receptive when I'm reading words like these verses that trigger a lot of thoughts, feelings, and sometimes talk about God. Can I just receive and be with these words without turning my attention to those who try to say God is not really like that; or to those who say maybe God was like that in Old Testament times, but Jesus came and now God is different. Can I stay out of the ongoing dialog about God, and just receive the words and let them be spirit and life today?

Psalm 46 (Selections and reflections)
"God is our refuge." (vss. 1 and 11)
Corruption is no less corrupt; violence is no less violent. But in the midst of corruption and violence God is our refuge. This Psalm calls me to receive God as refuge.

"Though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;" (vs. 2)
It occurs to me today like it hasn't before that a big enough flood does that!

"Be still, and know that I am God" (vs. 10)
Be still.
Even with the flood account.
Even with God saying, "I will destroy."
Still, knowing God.
Not still because I think I've figured out how to have God be
the way people think God ought to be.
Still, knowing God.
Every word about God is
a tiny opening into God.
All the Bible's words about God combine
to be a big opening into
God who is
so far beyond them all.
Be still, knowing God.

Romans 1:16-17; 3:22b-28 (Selections and reflections)
"...the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God...
For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith..." (vss. 16,17)
The gospel reveals the righteousness of God. What causes many to become absorbed in the gospel and not the righteousness? Maybe another way to ask this question is: How did the gospel become so popular and righteousness so unpopular?

"all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." (vs. 23)

Matthew 7:21-29 (Selections and reflections)
"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven." (vs. 21)
I'm struck by how service-oriented, and how "like Jesus" it is to prophesy in Jesus' name, and to cast out demons in Jesus' name, and to do many wonders in Jesus' name. It is service-oriented, wonder-working, Jesus-imitating people that hear these terrible words from Jesus: "I never knew you; depart from Me..." These verses are an urgent invitation to keep saying to Jesus: Do you know me? Do I know and do the will of Your Father in heaven?
I need to be known by You. I need to know and do the will of Your Father.

No comments: