Sunday, May 18, 2008

Receiving May 24 worship scriptures

Scriptures for May 24, 2008
Isaiah 49:8-16a
Psalm 131
1 Corinthians 4:1-5
Matthew 6:24-34

You are invited to receive the Word as spirit and life. There are suggestions for how to do this at http://charistis.blogspot.com/2008/03/receiving-word-as-spirit-and-life.html
Spirit and life thrive in an open, welcoming heart. After receiving the Word for yourself, you will have reflections and responses to share. What you have to share may coincide with or complement the following.

May 17 prayer for receiving
When I give, my thoughts and feelings are with the one I'm giving to.
Now I'm the receiver, and want my thoughts and feelings to be present to You the Giver.
With what thoughts and feelings of love you have given your Word.
Enable me, please, to receive Your word as spirit and life.

Isaiah 49:8-16a (selections and reflections)
"Sing, O heavens!
Be joyful, O earth!
And break out in singing, O mountains!
For the LORD has comforted His people,
And will have mercy on His afflicted." (vs. 13)

"But Zion said,
'The LORD has forsaken me,
And my Lord has forgotten me.'" (vs. 14)

"'Can a woman forget her nursing child,
And not have compassion on the son of her womb?
Surely they may forget,
Yet I will not forget you.
See, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands." (vss. 15,16)

There may be cause for the heavens and earth to sing joyfully. Mt. Everest and K2 may even break out in an unforgettable duet.
But none of this is for me. I'm forsaken. The Lord has forgotten me.
Then: I really won't forget you. See the palms of my hands.
Unspeakable grandeur. Unspeakable desolation. Unspeakably compassionate comfort. This is heart terrain.

Psalm 131 (selections and reflections)
"I have calmed and quieted my soul" (vs. 2)

Soul in turmoil or soul gone numb, neither is calm and quiet.
Closeness for the sake of closeness calms and quiets.
This is hope terrain.

1 Corinthians 4:1-5 (selections and reflections)
"...stewards of the mysteries of God." (vs. 1)

Wow! That's some task. Stewards are a kind of manager. Managers of the mysteries of God. Can a Christian, even Paul, do that? Can all the best, most authentic, real Christians of all time combined--can they together manage the mysteries of God? Can they even comprehend the mysteries of God, much less manage them?
Thinking like that is not the route to the spirit and life in this amazing statement. Stewards of the mysteries of God. Yes. And they are still mysteries, not some comprehensible commodity to be controlled by one feeble manager or a whole Christian church full of managers.
Stewards of the mysteries of God are the forsaken who've seen the palms of His hands; they are the calmed and quiet close ones; they are heart-broken yet hope-filled. They are stewards of mysteries they'll never comprehend and certainly never control.

"I do not even judge myself." (vs. 3)
"He who judges me is the Lord." (vs. 4)

What wonderful relief from the hard job of dealing with self.

Matthew 6:24-34 (selections and reflections)
"Is not life more than food?" (vs. 25)

The stilled and quieted child of Psalm 131 realizes and experiences this.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness." (vs. 33)

The kingdom of God and His righteousness more the focus (more what I desire and what I seek) than is food, drink, or clothes (basic physical necessities). The word in Matthew 6:24-34 isn't spirit and life for me yet when I only receive it as "Don't worry" advice. This same word does become spirit and life when I let it draw me into God's kingdom and righteousness as more present and more important than food, drink or clothes. The kingdom of God and God's righteousness are more essential and more deserving of my time and attention than even the basic necessities of life. That is spirit and life.

No comments: