Sunday, July 27, 2008

Receiving August 2, 2008, worship scriptures

Scriptures for August 2
Genesis 32:22-31
Psalm 17:1-7, 15
Romans 9:1-5
Matthew 14:13-21

Part I - Receiving the Word as spirit and life for yourself
My hope is that you will receive the Word as spirit and life for yourself, and then compare notes with others who are doing the same. The following provides suggestions for how to receive the Word as spirit and life for yourself
http://charistis.blogspot.com/2008/03/receiving-word-as-spirit-and-life.html

Part II - Reflections on this week's scriptures

Prayer for receptivity
My heart runs away from home. It runs in attempts to be responsible or to cope, or to do something that seems important or compelling. But it runs. Forgive me. Return me to Your forgiveness and compassion. At home in Your righteousness and love, my heart receives Your words as the spirit and life they are.

Genesis 32:22-31
"'Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel;' for you have struggled with God and with men, and have prevailed.'" (vs. 28)
Consider God who wrestles with. God wrestling with. Wrestling Jacob into Love's light.
Consider Jacob wrestled and wrestling. Struggling to move from attempts to control into surrender. Knowing as he struggled that he must be blessed.

Psalm 17:1-7, 15
"Hear a just cause..."
"Attend to my cry;"
Give ear to my prayer..." (vs. 1)
A triple request

You have tested my heart;
You have visited me in the night;
You have tried me..." (vs. 3)
Another triple.

What is the psalmist's prayer?
"Let my vindication come from Your presence..." (vs. 2)
"Uphold my steps in Your paths..." (vs. 5)
"Show Your marvelous lovingkindness by Your right hand..." (vs. 7)
"Keep me as the apple of Your eye..." (vs. 8)
"Hide me under the shadow of Your wings..." (vs. 8)
"Deliver my life from the wicked..." (vs. 13)

What response does he most desire? What will satisfy the psalmist?
"As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness;
I shall be satisfied when I awake in Your likeness." (vs. 15)

Maybe a list of petitions is a way of wrestling into, and being wrestled into, the righteousness and love that are the ultimate satisfaction.

Romans 9:1-5
"I have great sorrow and continual grief in my heart." (vs. 2)
Israelites! My relatives!
The triumph of God and God's ultimate Israel is not without great sorrow and continual grief. It is a triumph of suffering Love, not a triumph of sheer strength.

Out of profound sorrow and grief into promises that are fulfilled in surpassing, all-encompassing ways. It takes a brave and broken heart to participate in that kind of Love.

Matthew 14:13-21
"When Jesus heard it (that Herod had John the Baptist beheaded), He departed from there by boat to a deserted place by Himself." (vs. 13)
Grief is the starting point, or reference point, in this scripture also--grief that sees with compassion and heals and nourishes.
When the disciples suggested sending the multitudes away to get their own food, Jesus said "They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat." (vs. 16)
Let grief be a driving force that fuels compassion.

No comments: