Sunday, October 5, 2008

Receiving October 11, 2008, worship scriptures

Scriptures for October 11, 2008
Exodus 32:1-14
Psalm 106:1-6, 19-23
Philippians 4:1-9
Matthew 22:1-14

Part I - Receiving the Word as spirit and life for yourself
As a review, or for the first time, I invite you to read Part I of my September 28 post (click on September at the left). Those who visit this blog are always invited to receive the Word as spirit and life. That comes first. Then compare notes with others who do the same. Here are suggestions for how to receive the Word as spirit and life for yourself: http://charistis.blogspot.com/2008/03/receiving-word-as-spirit-and-life.html

Part II - Reflections on this week's scriptures (one place for you to compare notes)
Prayer for Receptivity
Not grasping, but receiving.
Not trying to make Your Word into what I want it to be, or into
what I think You want it to be.
Receiving isn't grasping.
Receiving is letting.
Letting Your Word be spirit and life.
Letting Your Holy Spirit clear the way in my heart so Your Word can
settle there as the spirit and life it is.
Please, God, increase my receptivity.

Exodus 32:1-14
“…Moses delayed…” (vs. 1)
As I read these 14 verses, I think How could they ever say that; How could they ever do that; How could Aaron, of all people, go along with them? I react that way, and then I realize this reaction isn’t taking me where I need to go. I’m more likely to touch the heart of the people and Aaron and most of all Moses and God when I consider what this situation seemed like to them. Take just the word “delay.” It must have had huge power for them, to the point of seeming unbearable. Has delay ever felt unbearable to me?
I shift to this way of responding not to condone sin, but in order to realize that ordinary people now, as well as then, do glaringly wrong things when circumstances come to the place of seeming unbearable.
There were a lot of people, and also Aaron their interim leader, who thought they were doing what the circumstance called for. If I don’t try to comprehend what it was like for them, I am much more likely to be drawn into responses that, in my very different life circumstances, still parallel theirs.


“…let Me alone…” (vs. 10)
Amazing. Imagine God saying to Moses, “Let Me alone.” What does that say about the place of Moses in God’s life?
Moses could have heard what I read in verse 10 as (1) relief from circumstances that were getting way out of hand, and (2) assurance of a very bright future. It must have appealed to Moses to have the pain of the past gone and to be given a pain-free future. After all, the people were guilty and he was innocent. Why not just start over again? Moses might have given in to what seemed unbearable, and “gone with” what seemed right, or at least “understandable,” under the circumstances. But he didn’t. These are Your people, God. Why should the Egyptians say you brought them out here to kill them? Remember (I can’t leave You alone, instead I must ask you to remember!) remember what you swore by Your own self to your servants. You have already promised descendants as the stars of heaven. Don’t make of me another great nation. Please fulfill Your original promise. You and Your love are more powerful than these unbearable-seeming circumstances. I can’t leave You alone about this.


“‘They have turned aside quickly out of the way which I commanded them.’” (vs. 8)
It is so troubling to realize how human it is to “turn aside quickly.” The Children of Israel way back then aren’t the only ones guilty of this. When I turn aside quickly, it’s a call for me to stop and renew my heart’s awareness of what my turning aside causes in the heart of God—Father, Son and Spirit.

Psalm 106:1-6, 19-23
“Remember me, O LORD, with the favor You have toward Your people.” (vs. 4)
I can't leave You alone about this, remember!

Philippians 4:1-9
“Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.” (vs 8)
My sin must be recognized for what it is and confessed. Then, through forgiveness I’m returned to the compassionate heart of God where I’m prepared to meditate on things true, noble, just, pure, lovely, good, virtuous and praiseworthy.

Matthew 22:1-14
“‘So those servants went out into the highways and gathered together all whom they found, both bad and good. And the wedding hall was filled with guests.
‘But when the king came in to see the guests, he saw a man there who did not have on a wedding garment.
‘So he said to him, “Friend, how did you come in here without a wedding garment?” and he was speechless.’” (vss. 10-12)
It wasn’t that the king saw a bad man there, he saw a man who did not have on a wedding garment.
The wedding garment and my willingness to wear it; I come from reading this parable today realizing there is always more to ponder about the wedding garment and my willingness to wear it.

No comments: